A Magical town full of wonders; here are a few interesting facts about Akumal:
1. Akumal means “place of the turtles” in the Mayan language and It sure lives up to it’s name.
2. It is located in Tulum Municipality in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico, and is part of the Riviera Maya area.
3. The town was officially founded in 1958 as a community for scuba divers by Pablo Bush Romero (a Mexican businessman, diver, writer, historian, and archaeologist)
4. Only biodegradable sun blocks are allowed; with over 90,000 people per year swimming in Akumal bay, we are polluting the water with so much sunblock.
5. It has several covers for access: Kantena, Waac, Half Moon Bay and Yalku.
6. It is common to see green turtles swimming in these creeks, and countless colorful fish.
7. Akumal is a micro tourist destination in the Riviera Maya, But that doesn’t diminish it’s high ecological value.